Sunday, November 8, 2015

Music

Hello again! This week, I'm going to talk about one of the best advantages of being a dancer.

There are the obvious advantages, which include fitness and stamina. But there are a few more: balance, awareness of your body, coordination, and my favorite, musicality. Being a dancer, you learn to appreciate music more, the rhythm it has, the work the artist put into it, and how to relate to the music. You learn to really know the music.

For example, if you play me a song from a ballet such as Swan Lake or The Nutcracker, I could most likely tell you what song it is and what's happening at that moment in the ballet.

Also, as a dancer, you get exposed to different genres of music: hip-hop (R&B, alternate, etc.), classical, jazzy, musical, contemporary, modern, and more. But I don't choose to listen to those types of music outside of dance. I listen more to like top 40's music. Just because I listen to one type of music in my free time DEFINITELY doesn't mean that I don't like what I listen to in dance.

When I listen to music in the car or at home, I often find myself choreographing to the music, and coming up with a story to go along with both the song and dance, as do a lot of other people in my dance studio. We make up dances all the time, both silly and serious. 

So, music plays a very important role in both a dancer's life and learning. Music plays a big role in our lives, and without music, what would life be?

"Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me"
-ABBA

No comments:

Post a Comment